Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Another quick post

The battery seems to be holding charge but as a precaution I've put it on another overnight charge. I've also bought a Gunsons timing light on eBay.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

There is hope

I've finally got round to fitting the battery that I'd charged a few days ago. It was reading 12.8 volts which is a good sign. I cranked it over and the voltage stayed above 10 volts so there is a chance that I've saved the battery. I've put it back on charge and I'll leave it overnight.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Charged up

The battery has had a 36 hour charge on the new charger. I'll give it a bit longer until I take a voltage reading, put it back on the car and do a cranking test to see what the voltage drop is.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

What a shock!

I took a voltage reading on the old battery with my multimeter and it was registering 12.43 volts so it isn't totally dead. I bought a smart charger from Lidl and I've got it on charge. After I'd removed the battery, I found out that it is a calcium type so there's a chance that it could be saved. I've also fitted my earth lead so there should be a decent earth once I come to try starting the car again.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

What a bummer.

The new battery has gone walkies before I even got a chance to fit it so that's set me back for now. The old battery has some charge left in it so I'll be taking a voltage reading when I get a new one.

Not a happy bunny.

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Another even longer overdue update!

It has been nearly 2 years since my last post. Blimey! Where has the time gone? I had the car resprayed in Triumph white which is a period correct colour. In November 2016, I fitted some solid carburettor mounts and this is where things went downhill. The car wouldn't start and hasn't run since so I left it parked up in the carport. Fast forward to 2018 and I've made a decision to get it back on the road and the biggest barrier to that is to get the engine running again. I've established that the battery is toast due to it being stood for months on end. I've ordered a new battery and I shall be monitoring it more closely in the future to avoid neglect. The negative lead has seen better days and the proper part is expensive so I've bought some "off the shelf" parts to make up a new lead costing me just over £14 from Halfords and a local motor factor.
I might just invest in electronic ignition to ensure a healthy spark. I'm also considering fitting my spare set of SU HS4 carburettors. I've got them close to hand so I can lay my hands on them straight away. I've already documented the work I've done this year on YouTube. I have already done a few Dolomite videos in the past so this isn't the first one.

More to follow soon...

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

A long overdue update.

I've done a lot since my last post.

The car is now all one colour. I ended up having to get more paint from ebay after I'd cleared out all the local motor factors of Russett.

The new brushes didn't solve my alternator problem so I bought a brand new one. I finally swapped the SE wheels for the correct early Dolomite steel wheels along with the stainless hub caps. I replaced the exhaust tailpipe, fixed the loose steering column adjustment clamp, replaced one of the hinges on the driver's door, swapped the door mirror, replaced the radio aerial, revarnished the door cappings, repainted the headlining with vinyl silk emulsion and fitted a pair of shelf speakers. I've also changed to super unleaded and it has made a big difference to how the car runs. It is so much more responsive so it is definitely worth the extra it costs. I might even use it in the Astra as well.
In November, the driveplate broke which necessitated removal of the engine.
Fortunately, I had the use of a garage and an engine crane which enabled me to get a replacement fitted.

The distributor cap broke so that had to be replaced. I bought a Britpart cap from Rimmer Bros and it looks a bit more substantial then the old one.

Another part of the exhaust was blowing so I've bit the bullet and ordered a full stainless steel exhaust from the Triumph Dolomite Club. The £280 it has cost me is a bit hard to swallow but is excellent value and will probably outlast the car. The coolant temperature sender failed and I bought a new one from Robsport via their ebay listing. The fusebox was playing up so I've fitted an MGB one so I now have twice as many fuses. Luxury! To prevent the new fusebox gong the same way I've sprayed the exposed terminals with white grease which should keep the corrosion at bay.

This is what happened to one of my HT leads and with the rest looking similarly ropey I'm going to order the Magnecor 7mm leads. The TDC offer a discount to members and they come with a 10 year guarantee. In the meantime, I've replaced the offending HT lead to keep me going.

I've refurbished my steel wheels. I had use of the garage again and with access to heat they have come out quite well. Here are the before and after photos.

This is how I did it.
I used U-Pol primer and Halfords steel wheel paint. I warmed the paint beforehand and used a heat gun to speed up drying of the paint.