Monday, August 31, 2015

Made a start on my new job list.

I can remember many moons ago a pearl of wisdom that was imparted to me by a tyre fitter. Before I get the front wheel alignment done, I should put some miles on the car to settle the steering and suspension. I ended up putting 10 miles on the car and the steering was as bad as before. I needn't have worried because when I went to the local tyre place that I use, they put their equipment on it and it was way out by 25mm. After it had been adjusted, the steering was much better so it was worth every penny of the £15 it cost me.

I've managed to free off the choke cable. I undid the end of the cable and ran some light oil down the inner sheath and it has done the trick. I've also lubricated the choke linkages.

I've made a start on removing the awful primer. This is going to be hard work but it should improve things.

The next thing will be to replace the carb mounts. The rubber ones are past it and I want to fit the solid ones from the TDC.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

All fixed now.

I've finally got my car back having just passed the MoT.

It went in the garage to have the subframe mount repaired. The inner wing provided a suitable repair section. The work necessitated removal of the subframe which was done leaving everything else in situ with the engine on a support beam. This saved time and a lot of grief. While the subframe was off, the subframe bushes were replaced with Super Flex items. A new steering rack which I had bought a few years ago was fitted with Super Flex bushes. The upper wishbone bushes on the front suspension were also replaced with Super Flex. The original deadline for Drive It Day in April came and went. The work was completed not long after the MoT ran out in July so it was tested and came back with a long list of failures most of which were caused by corroded electrical connections due to lack of use. The rear brakes needed freeing off an cleaning up and both bottom balljoints needed replacing. The rear section of exhaust was patched up and all this was enough to get through the MoT.

This is only the beginning. There are quite a few jobs that will need to be done.

The front wheel alignment will need to be adjusted because the steering rack has been changed so that will be out of kilter. This is going to be the first thing I do.
I want to replace the carburettor mounts. The TDC do solid ones so that's what I will go for.
The carb linkages need lubricating (through lack of use).
The exhaust will need to be replaced. It has been on the car for about 4 years and it was secondhand mild steel one when I bought it. The temporary repairs will see me through until I can get a replacement. I want to do this once so I'll source a stainless steel exhaust.
The awful paint job has to go. I reckon that some 2000 grit wet & dry should get rid of the pound shop primer I used last year.
I've been considering replacing the Sprint alloys with steel wheels. I've got the stainless steel wheels trims that early 1850s had and I've also got a set of the correct wheel nuts. I might keep the Sprint alloys and get them refurbished.

I've missed a few shows this year because the car wasn't ready in time. I can now commit to future shows.