Monday, June 29, 2009

Replacment parts bought.

Brown had been running like a bag of spanners. No. 3 cylinder wasn't sparking so the first thing I did was swap the HT leads (I had a spare set) next I thought the distributor cap was faulty and when that didn't cure the problem I replaced the rotor arm. That didn't work either so I removed the distributor and lo and behold the points gap had closed up. I set the points gap, put everything back together and it has cured the problem. I'll need to do some road testing to make sure I've cured it.

On another positive note I ordered a head gasket set for Blue from Champion and I picked it up today costing me £18. I just need to get Brian to fit it as soon as he can do it. Blue's tax disc has run out so I decided to renew the tax. £125 a year is ridiculous for a 26 year old car but it is better to stay legal. The MoT is also due so Brian can do a pre-MoT check at the same time and hopefully, Blue will pass.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Exhaust finally sorted

The exhaust was still blowing at the mainfold/downpipe joint and rather than using exhaust putty I decided to sort it out properly by tightening up the nuts. For this I needed a deep 9/16" socket which I didn't have. After trying a couple of branches of Halfords and a couple of motor factors I ended up buying a set of Imperial deep sockets from my local Machine Mart for just over a tenner. When I got home I got Brown up on wheel ramps and left the exhaust to cool down while I read the new edition of Practical Classics. When I had done I got back to the car and did up the nuts curing the blowing. I smeared some exhaust putty on the next joint down and gave the car a road test and so far it is still holding up. The clock is still keeping good time so I am now set for the show at Harewood House tomorrow.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seats & suspension

I replaced the seats and front shock absorbers on Brown. This involved a trip to the North East to collect said items. I'd filled up the day before the trip and when I got back I filled up again. I'd covered 335 miles and averaged just over 30 mpg which is my best figure yet. Fitting the shock absorbers was quite easy and it has raised the height of the front end so no more cringing when I hit speed bumps and potholes. The replacement seats have made the interior a much nicer place to be helped no doubt by the fact that I'd vacuumed the carpets while the seats were out. I've also replace the slightly slow clock and the inaccurate voltmeter. The replacement voltmeter is a lot better than the old one. The clock? Time will tell... (pun intended!)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Brake pads replaced

The brake pads needed replacing again. They were done less than 2 months ago. At first I suspected the nearside caliper pistons were still sticking so I did that side first. I pushed the pistons in and put my foot on the brake pedal and repeated the process several times just to make sure the pistons had freed up. I did the same thing on the offside and to my surprise the wear on all the pads were quite even. I then realised that it must have been my use of the brakes going down steep hills must have caused the pads to wear so quickly. I also suspect that I might not have bedded the pads in properly. I will endeavour to bed the pads in preoperly this time. After the last pad changed I noticed a squealing sound. There are shims fitted but the don't seem to help. When I fitted the new pads I sprayed some copper grease on the back of the pads and this has prevented any squealing. I filled up with petrol this morning after I finished work and I've averaged just over 25 mpg. I've been montoring fuel consumption and I've been getting mid-20s mpg. Brown has been drinking supermarket 95 RON unleaded. (I did try a tank of Esso 95 RON unleaded but I don't think there was any difference) The last thing I did was to wash Brown and when I've finished updating this Blog I'll be getting some sleep by which time the exhaust manifold will have cooled down enought for me to be able to cure the blowing that is still there.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

A stroke of luck

Last night I went to the TSSC meeting in South Yorkshire which was the perfect opportunity to put some motorway miles on Brown. The area organiser, Tony has a TR7 engined Dolomite Sprint and he offered me some of his surplus parts (he had a donor Sprint which he'd broken) so after the meeting I went to his place and came away with a complete front suspension, a set of Goodridge front brake hoses and enough shock absorber bottom bushes for 2 cars. I'd have taken more stuff if he could've found more of what I needed. I've offered to help him sell his parts through the Triumph Dolomite Club and he's offered me half of whatever I can help him sell. Brown didn't miss a beat last night but the car is still a bit twitchy at the front so I'm hoping this replacement suspension will sort it all out. Time will tell...