Friday, November 25, 2005

Done it!

I've finally got the new water pump fitted and Becky runs a LOT quieter now but it was an absolute struggle. I managed to get the bolt loosened by the garage and last night I tried and gave up. After work today I went straight to Anita's and started working on Becky. The job took a couple of hours and apart from a small scare with one of the water pump bolts it went quite smoothly. Somebody suggested that I change the cambelt but it looked fine to me so I've left well alone. There's just some routine servicing which I can carry out once I've got everything I need. I'm even thinking about using Castrol GTX as it's a bit cheaper and Becky deserves the best. We shall see...

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Got the water pump

I picked it up today but fitting it is gonna be a nightmare! I'll need to remove the cambelt cover and crankshaft pulley to get at all the bolts. I've there fore enlisted the help of the garage that did Becky's MoT and one of the lads there is gonna loosen the crankshaft pulley nut saving me a lot of grief. I'll get him to do the same with the water pump pulley and then I'll be laughing.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Squealing like a pig.

That was because the alternator drive belt was slipping so I left it until I fitted the repaired alternator and it has been fine since. While I was doing that I noticed that the water pump pulley seemed wobbly and when I spun it by hand it was making a rumbling noise similar to one I've heard when Becky is ticking over. I was going to leave it because the water pump is working and there are no leaks. A mate strongly suggested that it would fail so I've ordered a brand new water pump from my trusty local motor factor which is gonna cost just over 14 pounds so it is worth doing. I just hope I can get the water pump off to be able to do the job!

Friday, November 18, 2005

Alternator repaired

Got Becky's alternator back today from the auto electrician. It cost me 35 pounds to have it repaired and it looks as good as new. Well worth it and cheaper than buying a new one. As for Baby Blue's alternator, once I did get a new one I would have to take Baby Blue down to have her wired up for the alternator and that isn't possible at the moment unless I get her road legal and that seems quite far off.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Alternator update

I took the alternators in for repair today and the news is mixed.

First up, Becky's alternator just needed new brushes and bearings. The news on Baby Blue's isn't so good but a brand new alternator will cost 45 pounds and will have more output than the original. I've decided to have Becky's alternator repaired and I'll hold fire on Baby Blue's for the time being.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Exhausted part 2

I rung the guy up and he still had the exhaust. Better still, he lived local and when I went down to his house to look at it I realised that it had been taken off fully assembled (Aclaim exhausts are two-piece systems) so there was no way I could take it anywhere to get it fitted. He kindly offered me the use of his gargage so I went over to Anita's house (where I keep Baby Blue) to get my tools. Fitting the exhaust wasn't too much of a problem except for one of the manifold nuts which I managed to round off necessitating the use of the nut splitter. I managed to get the nut replaced at a local tyre fitter. (the same place where I had the puncture repair done) The exhaust cost me £50 and the guy even gave me a spare headlight with a bulb.
On a positive note, I'll be getting Becky's other alternator and Baby Blue's alternator repaired. Somebody at the last local TSSC meeting recommended a place the does these sort of repairs and I've arranged to take them in. Both alternators are in Baby Blue's boot so I'll have to go back up there again tonight but I'm glad I'm making a bit more progress with things. I'll have to get the Toledo alternator off Baby Blue and back on to the Toledo.

Sunday, November 13, 2005


Becky's exhaust has started to fall apart at the seams. (literally!) This is the first time I've come across this on an exhaust. I tried welding one of the brackets on the centre silencer that had split and it only improved things for a short while but I'm now back at square one. I was offered a complete exhaust which was almost brand new. Fortunately, I still have his number so I'll give him a call after I've finished working at the pub today. Hopefully, I won't have too much trouble fitting it as I'll have my Haynes to help and the experience of a few fellow Acclaim owners to draw upon.