Monday, January 02, 2006

Some more work to do

At last! Something to do on Becky. I've noticed that the courtesy light switch on the drivers' door is playing up. Probably a bad earth. As I'll be servicing her I can sort it out then. Talking of which, I went to my local Halfords today and bought a new set of spark plugs (Champion's double copper core ones) and 5 litres of Castrol GTX so I'm now set to do the service that I planned on. I was going to do it tomorrow night before the meeting but I've decided to bring it forward to tonight so I'll be off up to Anita's to get the job done as soon as I've finished writing this.

I was thinking about breaking the Toledo but after protests on the Club Triumph and Triumph Dolomite Club forums I've followed my heart and I hope to restore this car. I shall be replacing panels where necessary so this will be an opportunity to learn my welding skills. I reckon that the bulk of the work will be the bodywork so I'll be stripping the front end down first and see how much metal is actually left! I thought that I might have to replace both front wings but I reckon that the drivers' side wing can be left untouched.

I'm bidding for a steering column bush on eBay for Baby Blue. There's also some alloy steering rack mounts which I'd like to get then I'll never need to buy rack bushes again. I had a look at Baby Blue's steering rack today and I reckon that the only problem will be getting the rack out once I've removed the bolts. Time to consult Haynes on this one. I've dug out my rebuilt steering column in readiness for this job. I'll give the plastic shrouds a clean as well.

No comments: