Tuesday, May 01, 2012

From oil change to a chipped windscreen

Becky II's oil change is coming due so I got it done yesterday evening while the weather was warm and dry. After a bit of a scare with the wheel ramps I got the car safely on them. It never ceases to amaze me how black the engine oil gets. I've started to change the oil every 3,000 miles and I'm glad that I do. While I was at it I decided to investigate the blowing exhaust. It was blowing at the manifold/downpipe joint and the first thing I noticed was that one of the studs was missing and the remaining 2 nuts were working loose so no wonder that the joint was leaking. I put some Halfords exhaust putty on the joint, bolted it all back together and it has cured the blowing. It has also cured an exhaust vibration I've been having.
My joy was short lived because on the way to work the windscreen got chipped. I've seen the Autoglass adverts on the TV & radio where they tell you not to leave a chip because it will eventually crack so I rang Footman James (my insurers) who gave me the number for National Windscreens who are their official repairers and I'm waiting for the local branch to get back to me. Also, if I leave it and it needs replacing it will cost me at least the windscreen excess and Acclaim windscreens aren't readily available.

No comments: