Thursday, March 02, 2006

Gonna sort that diff!

Last night's North Yorkshire meeting made me realize just how noisy Snowdrop's differential is. 60-70 mph and the noise is almost unbearable so I'm gonna do an axle swap with the Toledo and then I can repair and overhaul Snowdrop's axle at my leisure (when time and finances allow!) With this in mind I've ordered a replacement set of nuts and bolts for the trailing arms and the tie bars (where they bolt to the body. I'll be leaving the other end well alone for now!) so I can afford to waste seriously rusted 30+ year old nuts and bolts that probably haven't moved since the 70s! I know that the Toledo's diff is a LOT quieter that the one that's on Snowdrop. Another job in mind will be to change the coolant, flush the radiator, flush the matrix and replaces all the hoses and hose clips. An ex-Rover mechanic recommended the Unipart antifreeze. I've been using Castrol in Becky so I might go along with the Unipart stuff. Worth a try.

No comments: