Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I think I've killed it...

Last night on my way to Anita's house I lost control of the Sprint on a dry straight road which was well lit. The back end broke away to the right so I steered to the right to straighten up then it went the other way and ended up going sideways and hit a cable box. The nearside has been pushed in with the rear door taking the most damage. The B post is bent and the rear of the car is misaligned. Fortunately, I was just a bit shaken up but otherwise uninjured. Amazingly, the car was still drivable so I was able to park up and call the recovery service. The Sprint is now stored at the recovery company's yard (they have storage facilities) and Project Blue has been put back into use. I can't understand how I lost control. I've been up and down this same stretch of road in all weathers (especially during the recent rain) on a daily basis and I've never had it slide out of control. The only explanation I can think of is that there was some diesel on the road (this has killed many a Triumph through no fault of the driver) causing me to lose all grip. I'm glad that I didn't hit any other cars. I suspect that this car is beyond repair due to the distortion of the bodyshell. I'll have to see what the insurance says. A sad end to such a fine car...

No comments: