Saturday, June 25, 2005


Ever since I found that hole on the boot floor it's dampened my enthusiasm a bit but I figured that I should just keep on going so as not to lose heart completely so I decided to do a bit of cosmetics. I'd bought a new wirebush attachment for my drill so I took the opportunity to test it out on the sills. I jacked up one side of the car and as I was jacking the rear end up part of the sill collapsed. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back into shape. More welding for me to do. Talking of which, somebody in the pub is going to lend me his MIG welder as he hardly uses it but I'll need to get my own wire, etc. This is gonna save me a fortune on buying one. I just need some steel plate for making up the patches. (and to practaice on) I'm surprised at the condition of the bodywork. It looks like it's never been welded before. Anyway, I wirebrushed the passenger side sill and then I sprayed it with some black Hammerite-type paint. I also did the Acclaim's front valence and the rear lip of Baby Blue's boot lid (a la Dolomite!) as you can see in the pic. I also put more primer on the bodywork where it had been primed before. Once I've applied the topcoat she will look a lot better. I started her up (must remember to get that exhaust off the spares car!) and I'm glad to report that the alternator is charging the battery as the voltmeter is reading about 13.5V so it is charging correctly. Manged to free the front passenger wheel a bit more and had a go at driving the car. It is moving a bit better but the clutch started to burn. I thought I'd burnt it out but it was better once it had cooled down a bit. If the worst comes to the worst I can always rob the clutch off the spare engine. I think it is a decent one. This is the beauty of having a spares car: I don't have to spend any money on parts! Posted by Hello

No comments: